Communication Partner Strategies
General communication partner skills:
- Make sure the student has access to their communication system or has a way to communicate at all times.
- Allow plenty of wait time.
- Do not finish an individual's sentences, unless you ask first. Do not assume that you know what the person is going to say.
- Pay attention to the individual's facial expressions and gestures.
- Be honest if you don't understand the individual and give them a chance to clarify.
- If the communication device or system isn't working, allow the individual to communicate through yes/no questions and choice making.
- When possible, model words or short phrases on the individual's communication system, to help them learn where words are and how to put words together to make meaningful sentences.
- Always PRESUME COMPETENCE!
Follow their lead: How to be a respectful communication partner (AssistiveWare)